Workshop on “Understanding a case study approach of writing a research paper”
A case study writing workshop was conducted for all the faculty members of Dr. D.Y. Patil B-School by the Research Cell. Consecutive workshops for 6 hours each were conducted online by Prof. Amarpreet Singh Ghura to guide faculty on writing and publishing a case study.
To understand the case study-based approach towards writing a research paper.
Target Audience: 20 faculties (in-house)
Program Date: 12th August 2020
Program Duration: 6 hours (10.00 Am to 4.30 Pm)
Dr. Amarpreet Singh Ghura, Assistant Professor, Flame University, Pune, India
Prof. Ghura is a commerce graduate who has done his Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. He completed his Ph.D. in Commerce and Management from JJT University, Rajasthan, and was associated with the Indian Institute of Management - Calcutta as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. Dr. Ghura has over eight years of experience in the education industry and has been associated with organizations such as the Indian Institute of Management - Calcutta, Indian Institute of Management – Ahmedabad, Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, Ahmedabad, etc. at various capacities. He was associated as a 2nd generation in his Family managed business and is active in the start-up sector and was associated with two startups namely Indian Drivers Database Incorporation and MedChoice Pharmacy. He is currently associated with Unicepts Technologies Pvt. Ltd. as Advisor.
In the workshop, the following topics were covered
The workshop aimed to understand how to develop an in-depth, multi-faceted understanding of a complex issue in its real-life context and formulate it into the case study.
Preparing the Case
- Read and Examine the Case Thoroughly - Take notes, highlight relevant facts, underline key problems.
- Focus Your Analysis - Identify two to five key problems; understand how they impact the organization.
- Uncover Possible Changes Needed – Based on the review of course readings and discussions find the solutions
- Select the Best Solution- Consider strong supporting evidence with pros and cons to the solution. Check whether the solution is practical.
Drafting the Case
Once you have gathered the necessary information, a draft of your analysis should include these general sections, but these may differ depending on your assignment directions or your specific case study:
- Introduction o Identify the key problems and issues in the case study. o Formulate and include a thesis statement, summarizing the outcome of your analysis in 1–2 sentences.
- Background o Set the scene: background information, relevant facts, and the most important issues. o Demonstrate that you have researched the problems in this case study.
- Evaluation of the Case o Outline the various pieces of the case study that you are focusing on and evaluate.
- Proposed Solution/Changes o Provide specific and realistic solutions needed. o Explain why this solution was chosen. o Support this solution with solid evidence.
- Recommendations o Determine and discuss specific strategies for accomplishing the proposed solution.
Finalizing the Case
After you have composed the first draft of your case study analysis, read through it to check for any gaps or inconsistencies in content or structure.
The instructor also walked through different stages involved while planning and undertaking a case study and how to report the findings. The session was co-ordinator Dr. Rashmi Paranjpye welcomed the resource person Dr. Amarpreet Singh Ghura and introduced him to the participants. It was an interactive session and the participants took an active interest in understanding the case study approach of writing a research paper.